We are always on the lookout for people who would like to become part of our Volunteer Group.
You might have specific skills, or some you would like to learn so this could be your place to gain valuable experience.
Come and join us as a volunteer.
You can either phone the station on any Tuesday or Saturday on 01340 821181
or contact our Volunteer Coordinator.
Passenger Train Drivers and Secondmen
Shunter drivers & Works Train Guards
Non Operational positions:
Builders & Joiners
All Engineers Civil & Mechanical
Electricians, Plumbers & Painters
Gardeners, Fencers and many others
Other positions these include:
On-line Booking Assistants
Others with ‘Front of House’ experience
And all persons with IT skills
What Our Volunteers Do
The Railway is staffed entirely by volunteers working on a whole variety of tasks, indoors, outdoors, with the public and behind the scenes. For some it’s a chance to get their hands dirty, for others it’s a chance to meet people, and for many it’s the chance get stuck in helping to run a real railway! Throughout the year a vast programme of work is undertaken by our volunteers, ranging from working on the track, running the trains, staffing our stations, to rolling stock maintenance, building maintenance… and the list goes on. In fact, many of our volunteers try their hand at most of these various jobs as and when required – and a significant number started volunteering without having specialist skills in these areas in the first place.
So if you fancy trying your hand at a new skill (or even rekindling an old one), or would like a new interest and increase your circle of friends, why not become a volunteer yourself? The list below gives an idea of the sort of jobs that you could be involved with on the Railway. We will provide you with essential Safety Awareness training before you begin.
Examples Of Jobs At The Railway
- Rolling Stock and Vehicle Maintenance and Restoration
- Workshop Maintenance
- Locomotive Maintenance
- Bodywork Restoration (filling, sanding, welding, etc.)
- Passenger Carriage Renovation
- Permanent Way, Civil Engineering and Signals
- Track and Lineside Maintenance
- Bridge Maintenance
- Embankment, Cutting and Crossing Maintenance
- Lineside Vegetation Clearance
- Signalling Construction and Maintenance
- Stations and Buildings
- Building Maintenance and Restoration
- Woodwork, brickwork, plumbing, electrical, glazing, etc.
- Gardens and Grounds maintenance
- Three stations – Dufftown, Drummuir and Keith Town
- Station, Train and Catering Staff
- Booking Clerks
- Travelling Ticket Inspectors
- Railway Shop Attendants
- Operational Staff
- Train Crew (Drivers, Guards and Second men)
- Signal operations
Note: Certain duties may require specific training.
This page last updated: 09/08/21